Monday, March 16, 2015

Avoiding becoming the unsolicited advisor

Avoiding becoming the unsolicited advisor


I'm the first amongst my friends to have started having kids.  Now some of them are either on their first or pregnant with their first child.


I feel I've learned so much through my pregnancies and I get really excited about being able to share what I've learned.   But I have to remind myself that when I was still a new mom I wanted to learn on my own. I didn't like other mothers (my own ) to bombard me with advise. Despite it being well meaning and in no way geared towards making me feel inadequate it did result in making me feel like I was in over my head and didn't know what I was doing.

I chose to breastfeed.  I failed on my first attempt but really soared with my daughters.

Now I get so excited I want to tell all moms to be and all new mommies all I know about breastfeeding.  But again I need to hold back. To learn let them come to me.

A new mom is like a wilderness sprite. She cant be startled or she'll be scared away. Its such a strange time in our lives.  Most of us are pretty secure in our lives when suddenly motherhood turns it all upside down.

I figured it out, so will these new moms in my life. If they want my advice then I'm 100% here for them. And if they want to hear what I've got to say about breastfeeding than I'll be elated at the chance to share my thoughts.

But no one should be denied the chance to make their own mistakes.  To learn along their own path.  New mommies, it will get better. And when it feels it wont, know that you have people in your life who want only to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment