Friday, March 6, 2015

What no one warned me about having 3 kids

What no one warned me about having three kids.

There were lots of opinions when I announced my third pregnancy.  Somehow one was okay, two was expected but three was a shocker to some people. I received a lot of advice on how juggling three would be more difficult and how thin I'd be spreading myself.

However 6 weeks into being a mother of 3 I have faced things no one warned me about, no one even mentioned the constant worry and fear.

Adrian, my eldest, is in Kindergarten.  Kindergarten is ground zero for all sorts of germs and everything you DONT want your kids to get.

The chain of contagion is as follows. Other kids are sent sick to school, Adrian plays with said sick kid. Adrian comes home touches everyone and everything and so my poor Sophia catches whatever is going around in school.  Adrian is pretty healthy and fights off germs and infections easily.  Sophia is 2 years and a half and was breastfed until she was 2 years old. As a baby she was never sick (thank you breast milk nutrients).

Now add to this mix a newborn and enter panic mode ALL THE TIME.   I have never washed
my hands so obsessively in my life. I am single handedly responsible for Lysol disinfectant products stocks going up from my nonstop cleaning of all surfaces.  

No one was allowed in my house near the baby until recently from fear she'd catch a cold.  On top of everything this is one of the worst winters New York city has experienced recently.  

Jaguar is a winter baby, everyone was sick during a time she was a defenseless newborn.   And the kids are always giving each other one thing or the other and I stand back with Jaguar tightly held  in horror if one of them sneezes.

I was sure I'd breastfeed again but now I am even more committed because I want to shield her from everything.  

I'm sure this might not have anything to do with having 3 kids. I bet any mom has these fears with one or however many they might have.

But having kids is having your heart living outside of your body. And I've got mine split in three.

3 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog, and I really love your blog posts! I just started blogging about my three month old daughter, and it is great to imagine what it will be like when she gets older, and after I have more children :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda thank you so much for following me!! And congratulations on your new baby and for taking up blogging! It is a wonderful ride the ups and the downs of watching them grow. I wish you the very best!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I wish the same for you :)

      Delete