Sunday, March 29, 2015

What having daughters taught me about being Body Positive

Ive got 2 little girls, Sophia is 2 years old and Jaguar is 9 weeks old.

Despite their young age they have had a huge impact on how I feel about my body. An even bigger impact on how I show the world my feelings about my body.

We know kids are like sponges they absorb everything they see and hear. I expected the things my daughters pick up to have to do with learning and what they see on TV. I didn't realize that what they are absorbing is me.

My 2 year old loves playing dress up and spends her day pretending to put on her make up and serve coffee.  By watching her play I realize that she is learned how to put on her "makeup" by watching me.  How is a 2 year old so keen on her surroundings?

I took even bigger note of her mimicking skills after I saw her watching me weigh myself on our household scale.   She stopped all her playing and zeroed in on what
mommy was up to. I felt horrible. I did not want my child to inherit my battle with my weight and negative body image.  I especially did not want this battle to begin for her at the tender age of 2.

From that moment on I hid the scale and never weigh myself in front of the kids.  I always tell them they look great (my 5 year old boy too) and bask in the moment as they return the compliment.

I want to build my children's confidence and let their body positive view shine from within.   I know that my daughters will learn to see their bodies through the way I reflect on my own.

If I am proud of my curves and respect this body which birthed 3 amazing kids, then they will grow up to see themselves and others in a more positive light.

Sophia and I when she turned 1

No comments:

Post a Comment